The BLM collects, analyzes, and records a tremendous amount of business information about the public lands and resources, ranging from land title to recreational usage to wildlife habitat. Much of this data is geographic in nature and is best understood when displayed and analyzed in spatial form using automated geographic information systems. This data/information is used to make thousands of business decisions each year. We recognize that this business information is of great utility and value to wide variety of other parties, including public land users; education institutions; public interest groups; other Federal, State, Tribal and local agencies, and the scientific community.
- Master Title Plat (MTP)
- The MTP is a graphic depiction of current land status on a drafted map affecting one particular township. There are other plats included in the MTP plat group: i.e. Oil & Gas, Coal, Potash, and other lease mineral plats which are a graphic depiction of the current lease status on a drafted map affecting one particular township.
- Historical Index (HI)
- The HI is a narrative summary of use and title transactions affecting one particular township. The (MTP/HI) records were created from the original township Tract Books. As changes occur within a specific township they are submitted to the State Office for update to reflect land status changes approved by the BLM and other agencies. These official records are maintained on file in the State Office and should be available for use by both internal BLM staff and the general public to determine land availability, land status, and title/use information. Utah has 2568 townships with corresponding MTPs. Additionally, there are supporting Supplemental Plats, Use Plats, Oil and Gas Plats, and Historical Indices. It is estimated that in Utah, the BLM is responsible for maintaining approximately 20,000 MTP/HI documents.
- Control Document Index (CDI)
- CDIs are copies of patent and title documents, withdrawal orders, and opening and closure notices. The original patent and title documents, withdrawal orders, and related opening and closure notice comprise the official record used to construct the CDI. Copies are made from the original documents for review and research. These documents or CDIs are used to prepare and maintain the MTP/HI. These records must be available for use by both internal and public customers when required to verify the MTP/HI entries. These records also provide the supporting detail to corroborate the corresponding MTP/HI entries (Congressional Acts, Other Townships involved, reservation language, etc.). CDIs are used as a primary reference aid in the Utah BLM State Office (SO) Public Room.
- Cadastral Survey
- A Cadastral Survey consists of a
platand a written description of the fieldwork
field notes. The plat represents the lines surveyed, showing the direction and length of each line, the boundaries, descriptions and area of the parcel of land, and a delineation of the culture and improvements within the limits of the survey. The cadastral survey plats are used in the construction of a MTP plat. The MTP plat reflects the
Lotsize and placement. As survey plats are updated this information is incorporated into the MTP plats. The MTP plats do not reflect the courses and distances shown on survey plats. Today the SO is responsible for approximately 7,500 cadastral survey plats.
- Use Plat
- In addition to containing the same information that is on the MTP, the Use Plat is used for specific uses that affect the status of land and resources. Some specific lease uses for which a separate Use Plat would be generated are: Coal with a Coal Plat , Sodium with a Sod Plat, Geothermal with a Geo Plat, and Oil and Gas with a OG Plat.
- Supplemental Plat
- The supplemental plat is a plat drawn to a larger scale than the MTP. It is usually drawn at a scale of 10 chains to 1 inch. These plats are made when the information or action to be platted is in a congested area or is too complicated to show at the normal 30 chain scale. When a plat is generated for this reason, all title and survey information will be removed from the section being supplemented. The words "See Supplemental Plat" are drafted below the section number on the MTP.
- Index to Miscellaneous Documents
- The Index to Miscellaneous Documents contains a chronological listing of public laws, acts of Congress, and Presidential orders. The listed documents are those that apply to lands not specifically described on which conditions may exist that would restrict the disposal or use of lands.